Contact Lenses For Dry Eyes
Chronic dry eyes is a relatively common condition that impacts the lives of millions of people, including those who wear contact lenses. For most, dry eyes can be so severe that they make it difficult or very uncomfortable for those wearing contacts. However, at Urban Eyecare and Eyewear in West Des Moines, IA, we offer several contact lenses for patients with dry eyes. Let's take a closer look at our contact lens solutions for patients suffering from dry eyes.
What Is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome is a condition that occurs when your tears do not provide sufficient lubrication for your eyes. Tears can be inadequate for a number of reasons, including poor quality tears or not producing enough tears. If you suffer from dry eye syndrome, your eyes may burn, sting, and be uncomfortable. Other symptoms of dry eyes include:
- Blurred vision, particularly when reading
- Strings of mucus around or in the eye
- A gritty or scratchy feeling in the eye as if something is in there
- Your eyes are irritated or red, especially when near cigarette smoke or wind
- You have a lot of tears in your eyes.
Most importantly, dry eyes can make wearing contact lenses extremely painful. However, the experts at Urban Eyecare and Eyewear in West Des Moines, IA, can help.
Guidelines for Choosing Contact Lenses for Dry Eyes
Today, several of the top manufacturers have created unique contact lenses for people suffering from dry eyes. Our optometrist will conduct a thorough exam and explain all of your dry eye contact lens options. Some of the most common include:
- Soft Contact Lenses: As one of the best options for people with dry eyes, soft contact lenses allow oxygen to flow through the lens of your eyes to help them breathe, and are engineered to hold water.
- Water Content: All contact lenses will have different levels of wetness and water. However, higher levels of wetness tend to cause dry eyes to worsen because they extract water from the eyes to keep the level of wetness high. We regularly prescribe contact lenses with a lower level of moisture for those with dry eyes.
- Silicone Hydrogels: Soft contact lenses manufactured from silicone hydrogels allow more oxygen to pass through and need less moisture than other types of contact lenses. While these tend to be a bit more expensive, they offer substantially more comfort for people suffering from dry eyes.
- Frequency of Replacement: In many instances, people with dry eyes tend to find more comfort in replacing their contact lenses regularly. As a result, replacing contacts daily is the best and most comfortable solution.
Contact Our Optometrist at Urban Eyecare and Eyewear in West Des Moines Today
Looking for the best contact lenses for dry eyes? Contact Urban Eyecare and Eyewear in West Des Moines today at 515-223-1000.